Winners of GPU Journalism Awards 2021
The Gambia Press Union [GPU] last night held the 6th National Journalism Award 2021 ceremony at a local hotel in Senegambia.
Journalists, media institutions and individuals received various awards as recognition of their excellent work and contribution towards the development of the journalism profession.
Gambia’s topmost investigative journalist- Mustapha K. Darboe went home with five different awards- including the ‘Journalist Of The Year Award’ for the third year in a row.
Below are the various individual award category winners and their media.
- Human Rights Reporting Award – Jankey Touray, GRTS
- Business & Finance Reporting Award- Mustapha K. Darboe, Malegen
- Sports Reporting Award- Lamin Fadera, Afri Radio
- Migration & Human Trafficking Reporting Award- Mafugi Ceesay, The Standard Newspaper
- Children’s Reporting Award- Momodou L. Choi, QTV
- Health & Medical Reporting Award- Muhammed S. Bah, Foroyaa Newspaper
- Environment Reporting Award- Mustapha K. Darboe, Malegen
- Legal Affairs Reporting Award- Mustapha K. Darboe, Malegen
- Travel & Tourism Reporting Award- Aminata E. Sanyang, GRTS
- Agriculture Reporting Award- Yoro S. Bah, Mansa Banko Online
- Culture, Arts & Entertainment Reporting Award- Kebba Jeffang, The Chronicle
- Political Reporting Award- Omar Bah, The Standard Newspaper
- Investigative Reporting Award- Mustapha K. Darboe, Malegen
- Journalist Of The Year Award- Mustapha K. Darboe, Malegen
- Women’s Reporting Award- Kaddy Jawo, The Chronicle
- Online TV Platform Of The Year- Kerr Fatou
- Community Radio Of The Year Award- Brikama Ba Community Radio
- Commercial Radio Of The Year Award- King FM
- Press Freedom Award- Kenneth Y. Best, founder of the defunct Daily Observer Newspaper
- Deyda Hydara Awrad- Ndey Tapha Sosseh (Former GPU President) and Fatou Jagne Senghore
Since 2016, The Gambia Press Union (GPU) which was founded in 1978 as a trade union and the umbrella body for journalists in The Gambia decorates journalists, institutions and individuals for their work and contributions towards the development of the profession.